Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Not As Easy As Be Our Guest | Struggling With Whether More Is *Marrier*


Oh Lumière, you make it look so easy - it's all champagne fountains and dancing dish dreams when you're a Disney character! You know what ain't easy?

Cutting people off your wedding guest list.

My recently wedded friends and future father-in-law warned me about this: when it comes to staying on budget, it's all about how low can you go. Well, I wasn't prepared to play a game of limbo with our guest list.

And as my mother's daughter (my mother, who makes more friends in one day than I bet you do in one year), I would love nothing more than for anyone and everyone who wants to celebrate with us to be at our wedding.

Before I heeded the advice of the wedded wise, I brushed off the reality that if we truly wanted to throw the wedding we've (read: I've) been planning in our heads and hearts for years, a guest list of 250 just wouldn't do.

Sounds crazy, right? Having lots of people who love you and want to celebrate with you is a blessing, not a curse!!! Why would we want to turn anyone away? Why would we want to offend anyone?

The thing is we don't want to turn anyone away. and we don't want to offend anyone. But, we do want to have a wedding that has fantastic food, great music, funky flowers, rustic, vibrant decor, and makes for wonderful pictures and videos that capture the memories we will cherish for a lifetime.

In short, when you are on a tight budget it seems that the bigger your list of wedding wants becomes, the smaller your list of wedding guests must be, and after many revised guest lists sent back-and-forth, and many  heated discussions, we've trimmed it down.

It's not easy, and it's not fun, but I'm hoping people will understand.

At the end of the day, what's really important is that I'll be marrying my guy <3


1 comment:

  1. it is YOUR special day, and since your last name is not trump or kardashian, your friends will understand.

    ReplyDelete