Monday, December 5, 2011

Oy Veil! Saying Yes to the Dress & No to the Veil


So, thanks to Diane at The Wedding Day, my wonderful mother, and my fabulous friends, I was able to check "Choose/Order The Gown" off my wedding to do list a few weeks ago.

Turns out, David's Bridal wasn't meant to be for me. I tried on a few gowns that morning, and on a particularly gross-feeling day (we all have those, don't we?), none of them were able to knock me out off my ugly funk, and to me, a wedding dress should make you look beautiful, even when you're feeling your ugliest.

The dress I chose, did just that. 

Despite the lethal bad hair/bad body day combo I was experiencing, my dress still stopped me in my tracks - luckily, there seemed to be a consensus among my boozed-up entourage too.

After a toast with some delicious Wilson's Creek Winery Almond Champagne (thanks mom!), we turned from our unanimous "yes" to the dress, to our split veil opinion.

Me? I've never wanted a veil – I've just always thought they were too old fashioned looking for me. 

Didn't know that wasn't going to go over so well with the moms (mine and Brian's) and some of the more traditional members of the bridal party. You want tradition? I'm already going to wear the long, white dress - right?

Oy Veil!

To humor the no veil haters, I tried on a few – including a particularly heinous 80's inspired poofy thing. And despite the protests and the like 5 to 3 vote favoring a veil, I'm sticking to my guns - no veil for me. Maybe a headband, a cool clip or a flower - but no veil. 

Anywhoo, in the weeks that have followed finding the dress, I'll quickly bring you up to speed on what we've got going on the wedding planning side of things - and I'll blog out the dirty details later.

-We've set a date: August 4, 2012
-We've got a one-of-a-kind coordinator: My cousin, the uber organized Brina Stevens
-We've locked in the venue: Cyprus Shore, San Clemente
-We've booked our band: the uber entertaining Johnny On The Spot 
-We've talked to our florist: The uber talented Samantha Santana of Primary Petals
-We've set up a time to meet a possible photographer: Evan Christman
-We've checked out and selected most of the rentals: Baker Party Rentals
-We've set up our tasting appointment with the caterer: Blue Agave Restaurant

Whew! As you can see, lots of exciting things happening and many more to come - so happy to take you along for the ride.




Cheers to that!







1 comment:

  1. you, ugly? NEVER!
    congrats on the dress of your dreams (even if it is a long white gown)
    and ya never know-ya got some time to change your mind about the veil

    ReplyDelete